​Frequently Asked Questions - Workers' Compensation

Who is required to provide workers' compensation coverage?

Any employer who employs three or more employees is required to provide workers' compensation coverage.

Who provides and directs medical treatment?

The employer or its insurance company, subject to any NC Industrial Commission orders, provides and directs medical treatment. The Commission may permit the employee to change physicians or approve a physician of employee's selection when good grounds are shown. However, payment by the employer or carrier is not guaranteed unless written permission to change physicians is obtained from the employer, carrier, or commission before the treatment is rendered.

Chiropractic Rules: If the employer grants permission to seek medical treatment from a chiropractor, the employee is entitled to 20 visits if medically necessary. If additional visits are needed, the chiropractor should request this authorization from the employer.

When can reimbursement for sick travel be collected?

Employees are entitled to collect for mileage for medical treatment in workers' compensation cases at the rate of .485 cents per mile for travel as of January 1, 2007, provided they travel 20 miles or more round trip. Special consideration will be given to employees who are totally disabled.

NOTE: The Industrial Commission has given the self-insurers and insurance carriers permission to pay drug and travel expenses directly to the employee without approval from the commission.

What happens if, in an emergency, the employer fails or refuses to provide medical treatment?

The employee may obtain the necessary treatment from a physician or hospital of his own choice, but must promptly request the Industrial Commission's approval.

When does the employee become eligible for lost wage compensation?

No compensation is due for the first seven (7) days of lost time unless the disability exceeds 21 days. Therefore, the first check will not include payment for days one through seven. Payment for those days will be made should the disability continue beyond 21 days.

How often are compensation payments made?

Payments are made weekly.

At what rate of pay are compensation payments?

Compensation payments are made at 66 2/3 percent of the average weekly wage, not to exceed $754.00* (As of January 1,2007, maximum) per week.
* The maximum weekly benefit is adjusted annually.

How long is the employee eligible to receive lost-time weekly benefits?

The employee is eligible until the he is able to return to work.

What is permanent partial disability?

A permanent partial disability is a total loss or partial loss of use of a member of the body or inability to earn the same wages in any employment as earned at the time of injury.

Who determines permanent partial disability?

The Industrial Commission determines the disability  based on the impairment ratings of physicians or evidence of consideration of wage-earning capacity.

What about filing a workers' compensation claim?

Please call our claims department as soon as the accident happens at 888-561-1083 to file a claim.

What about authorization for medical treatment?

Please call our claims department at 888-561-1083 to a​uthorize medical treatment.